Property owners are usually at a great disadvantage when it comes to knowing what the real value their property is to both cell tower companies and wireless carriers.
The following is a list of recent statistics, valuations and projections that will give you a small glimpse into what a property owner truly provides when they allow their land, building or structure to be used by a wireless provider. We also recently published an infographic with some eye-popping industry statistics. Be sure to check that out if you’re more of a visual learner.
When a cell tower company is discussing cell site rents with you, remember that the backbone of the trillion-dollar wireless industry is your property…without the use of it nothing else works.
- In 2016, 9,571 cell sites in the United States were added to reach 307,626 cell sites.
- In the United States, wireless subscriber connections have grown to 377.9 million, up 28 percent from 2010.
- Globally, mobility revenues will grow from $1.5 trillion in 2016 to more than $1.7 trillion in 2020, representing a roughly $40 billion in annual revenue gains.
- Between 1996 and 2014, the United States invested $1.4 trillion in private telecom infrastructure and $78 billion in 2014. This is 62 percent more than the $48 billion invested in the EU in 2014.
- Annual wireless traffic in the United States grew to 9.65 trillion MB in 2016, which is three times the traffic in 2013.
- In 2016, 2.04 billion mobile phones will be sold around the world and will grow to 2.2 billion in 2020.
- Global mobile data revenue will increase 63 percent from $386 million in 2015 to $630 billion in 2020.
- As of 2016, 78 percent of American adults have smartphones, with 92 percent of adults between the ages of 18 and 29 and 54 percent of those over 65 owning a smartphone.
- Worldwide, the installed base of wireless connected devices will grow to 47 billion in 2021, more than twice the current level in 2016.
- In the United States, users have an average of 37 apps on their phones, use 12 apps daily and spend 5 hours per day on their mobile devices.
You can find additional wireless facts at CTIA.org.
Contact us today to discuss your cell tower, rooftop or other type of telecom lease and to find out the true value of your property.